Free Tax Preparation (VITA & MyFreeTaxes)

Free Tax Preparation

Taxes do not have to be scary or expensive to deal with since United Way of St. Lucie County is giving local families a helping hand by providing free tax preparation services. VITA services will be provided by appointment only this year. Dates and contact information will be posted soon. You can also do your taxes online at


What to Bring:

Please bring the following with you:

  • Proof of identification (photo ID). 
  • Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents.
  • An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number.
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN.
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents on the tax return.
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers.
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099).
  • Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received.
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available.
  • Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check.
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number.
  • Forms 1095-A, B and C, Health Coverage Statements.
  • Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable.

About the Tax Credits:

The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) programs provide federal tax benefits for low and moderate-income workers. The EITC offsets some or all of those families' federal income taxes and in many cases provides a supplemental source of income to help offset other taxes, including sales and payroll taxes. In order to claim the credits, eligible workers must file a tax return.

*Attendees interested in having their taxes filed at the VITA site must bring the following documents: W-2 and 1099, Social Security card (yours and your dependents'), photo identification, and should bring a copy of 2020 tax return.

For more information, please contact 211 or the United Way of St. Lucie & Okeechobee at (772) 464-5300.